30 December 2007
1. Sariah was born late 2006 & we spent all of 2007 watching our beautiful baby turn in to a fun, active, bright, personable toddler. She's such a good learner! She loves to run around, read books, ask "What's that?", meet new people, say "Hi!". Its such a change from baby, and its been so much fun all year round! Our lives have been blessed since she's around!
2. We've had lots of fun visits! My friend Jess visited us in Jan., my friend, Richard, came in May, Doug's sister & family (or as I like to call them, Jenny & the boys) visited us in June, and Doug's parents came to visit at the end of July! Each trip had its memorable moments and we enjoyed having everyone. We hope they come again!
There were also lots of fun trips. Sariah is quite the traveler! She and I took 3 trips together. Once to Austin in March, to Cleveland in June for Richard & Chrissie's wedding, and then to Utah to visit my Oma and see my nephew's blessing in October. Finally, all three of us went back to Utah for Christmas, where we got to see family, including Doug's Grandparents, his Aunt & Cousins & his Sister, Susan & Chris. Each trip was really great. I miss seeing everyone often! Sariah's really good on a plane, too. Sariah is still free to fly until age 2, so I'm hoping we'll be able to travel again next year, but we'll have to see how money is!
3. Church has been really great. Our ward is full of young families with small kids. Our 3 nurseries are proof of that! Its grown in numbers since we moved to Madison, with new people almost every week (or so it seems!) For example: we just had 2 families move in yesterday!
I am still called as a ward missionary. In August Doug was released from being a ward missionary and called to be the Ward Mission Leader. About that same time our Elders were transferred out and replaced with Sisters. We've enjoyed having the sisters around and being involved in their work. About a month ago, a new family, the Brandon's, were also called as ward missionaries. They've brought a new, revitalizing spirit to our meetings, which is great!
We've tried several new things with missionary work this year. The Missionary kits, the mini-Firesides in peoples homes. We hope next year to continue bringing the spirit of missionary work into our ward. Best of all, there's a Baptism today, which we're looking forward too.
4. Doug's job is continuing to be awesome. Its busy, sometimes stressful, but Doug enjoys it & his co-workers. The perks aren't bad either. The first year and a half has flown by! Doug has had lots of deadlines come and go, and he's doing really well. In July (or Aug,. I can't remember) his whole team had a celebration and all went to see The Simpson Movie, which Doug really enjoyed. We also enjoyed the Anniversary Dinner in April and it was the first big date we had since Sariah was born. I enjoyed getting all pretty and having some time with Doug. The food was really good, too!
5. I've had an up and down year. Early in January and I had some really bad chest pain and we called 911 and went to the emergency room. Turns out I had gallstones and my gallbladder had to be removed. Six weeks later on Feb.19 (after some doctor mix ups and stuff) it was finally removed. By then I had lost 10 lbs. and was really sick of the no fat diet. It was nice to eat real food again! (Which I did too much of, probably.) In June I was having some real weird cramping pain, so I went back to the doctor and had an ultrasound, and to make a long story short, the dr. said it was time I lost some weight, plus my cholesterol was really high (and other stuff that was causing the cramping pain.) So in Oct. I started eating better and exercising, and I had lost 25 lbs. (until I went to Utah and partied too much!)
I've also enjoyed being crafty this year, learning to sew, crocheting an afghan, recently I've been painting things. All things I'm hoping to carry on into the next year!
6. A big one! The Friday before my surgery in Feb. we put an offer on a house and it was accepted! We closed on our first home at the end of March. We love owning our own home. Its been such a blessing to us. Sure, I haven't been really fond of all the snow shoveling (and there's been TONS of it this winter!), but its wonderful to have a place for us. We're really enjoying making improvements. I've even enjoyed planting flower bulbs, which was a suprise to me! A big thanks to everyone who's been so kind in helping us create our new home! I still have tons of new projects to work on next year, but isn't that the fun of owning your own home?
We've been really blessed this year. Next year should be even better. We're looking forward to sharing it with you! We love you all! Happy New Year!!
15 December 2007
Sariah wasn't really sure about Santa. Another neat thing was, it wasn't very crowded so we could stand there for awhile and try to get her to warm up to him (it didn't work.) Here are some of the pictures I took with our camera. I like the ones that they took better, but our scanner isnt' working. We also took some cute video of her first meeting with Santa; I wish I could figure out how to get it off my camera... :( Here you can see she wasn't very excited to be near Santa...
She really liked the snowman she got though...
It was a fun experience, hopefully she'll be less scared about it next year!
12 December 2007
10 December 2007
A- Attached or Single? attached
B- Best Friend? Doug Non-husband best friends: Jess & Lisa
C- Cake or pie? either if I made it
D- Day of Choice? Thursday
E- Essential Item? chocolate!
F- Favorite Color? blue
G- Gummy Bears or Gummy Worms? Gummy Worms (but either if you get them in Germany)
H- Hometown? Austin
I- Favorite Indulgence? dvds and chocolate (or chocolate ice cream...)
J- January or July? January
K- Kids? 1 girl
L- Life isn't complete without? Doug
M- Marriage Date? December 21, 2005
N- Number of Brothers and Sisters? 2 twin brothers
O- Oranges or Apples? Apples
P- Phobias or Fears? claustrophobia, fear of heights, fear of going upside down, fear of going too fast or being out of control
Q- Quote? "If I had a million dollar; I'd buy you a green dress -- but not a real green dress, that's cruel!" If I had a Million Dollars Barenaked Ladies
R- Reason to Smile? Doug & Sariah
S- Season of Choice? Fall
T- Tag three friends- you, the other person, and someone else
U- Unknown Fact About Me? I write (bad) fanfiction
V- Vegetable? peas
W- Worst Habit? I don't know what you're talking about... *wink*
X- X-ray or ultrasound? Ultrasound, I've never had an x-ray but I've had lots of ultrasounds
Y- Your Favorite Food? Wendys or Olive Garden
Z- Zodiac Sign? Libra
Just Two Things
Two Names You go by: 1. Marin 2. Mommy
You Are Wearing Right Now: 1.Size 18 jeans ;) 2. earrings
Two Things You Would Want (or have) in a relationship: 1. Love 2. Compromise
Two of Your Favorite Things to do: 1. Experience things with Sariah 2.Be Crafty
Two Things You Want Very Badly At The Moment:1. A Date Night 2. Trip to Texas
Two people who will fill this out:1. You? 2. Some else?
Two things you did yesterday:1. Went to church 2. Made a Pie
Two things you have eaten today:1. Rice a Roni w/ Broccoli 2. Eggnog
Two people you talked to last:1. Sariah 2. Miss Tiffany the Librarian
Two Things You're doing tomorrow:1.Laundry (whoopie) 2. Maybe buying Harry Potter 5 and Frasier season 10 on dvd if it isn't snowy and icey
Favorite Holidays:1. Sariah's Birthday 2. My Anniversary
Favorite beverages: 1. Dr. Pepper 2.Apfleschoerle
Person no longer alive who you'd like to talk to:1. Mozart 2. Grampa Rigby, so I can apologize for not introducing him to Doug before he died.
07 December 2007
04 December 2007
I love Christmastime! There are so many fun activities to do!
01 December 2007
I love & hate days like these. Mmmm.. snow softly falling as we cuddle up drinking cocoa & eating pie. Playing in the snow & making snowman.... on the other hand, we're trapped here all weekend (church has been cancelled) with no way out. Actually though the shovelling wasn't so bad, but its still novel right now, I'm sure it'll get old...
26 November 2007
2. Note for next Thanksgiving: start thawing the turkey in the fridge before Tuesday afternoon. It was still frozen on Thursday! It worked out for the best though, I had food poisoning on Wed. and didn't feel like turkey Thurs. so we cooked it Saturday, and it was yummy!
3. Never, EVER leave straight pins on the floor, especially in an open box, in the path to where you lay your cell phone. Ouch, ouch ooweeeeeee! My poor, poor foot...
4. I'm sewing a dress (for my anniversary!), its the first time ever. I think it looks pretty good:
I just need to sew the zipper on and I'm done. The problem? It doesn't fit. Its too small in the waist. sigh.....
23 November 2007
21 November 2007
1a & 1b: Doug & Sariah
I was going to make this two seperate numbers, but I can't distinguish the love I have for both of these people. The difference is that I got to choose Doug (and he in turn chose me) where Sariah was a beautiful gift from Heavenly Father. Doug is really the best husband ever. Here is a man who loves me, cares for me and would do almost anything for me. Take today for example: I feel like I'm about to die, and he comes home from work, finds me medicine to make me better, gives me a blessing and then whisks Sariah away so I can sleep. He's responsible too. He's a great father. He's a priesthood holder. He tries to do his callings at church the best he knows how. I could go on and on... I love him so much.
Sariah is really a great daughter. She's so many things already that I never suspected she could be. My favorite quality about her? She's a people person. She warms up to new people quick. I'm so thankful to be her mommy! She grows up and gets smarter everyday.
2 The Gosple
Where would I be without the gospel of Jesus Christ? I don't even want to know. I'm so thankful for my testimony. I know we have a loving Heavenly Father that wants us to return to him and He shows us the way through Jesus Christ. My testimony is a part of me and can't be seperated out. Its why I served a mission, and I know because of the things I've done in the Church, I've received more blessings. Especially the biggest blessing, my Celestial Marriage to Doug!
3a & 3b My Family & Friends
Here's another grouping that can't be seperated out. I love my family. We've had our ups & downs, but the older we get, the less petty we become and the closer we are. That's a huge blessing for me. I'm also blessed with incredible in-laws. Doug's family is awesome. Seriously, I can't tell you how lucky I am. And my brothers have picked really great spouses.
My Friends have always been there for me. I've got great friends in Texas, and I miss them all the time. We've had some really fun times. We've all gotten married and had kids, but its a great blessing to know we're all still here for eachother, even when some of us have moved away.
4 Doug's Job
Where would we be without Epic? I can wager a guess. Probably still in Provo, Doug would still be in school, we'd still be living in an apartment. We wouldn't have Sariah because I'd be working everyday. Doug's job allows me to be a stay at home mom. Doug's job pays him well so we can have our beautiful house. Doug's job gives us great benefits so we could have a baby and not worry about how to pay for labor & delivery. There are so many other great benefits to Doug's job, like the free trips out of the country every 5 years. Plus, Doug loves his job. It challenges him, and he's already got some seniority in his group. People depend on Doug at work. Sure we live in Wisconsin, but we like it (its still not Texas). Doug plans on working for Epic for a long, long time & I'm fine with that!
This includes our computer, the internet, our cell phones... How blessed are we that we live in a time where we can easily communicate with people in different cities, states & countries? I love sharing our lives with you & enjoy reading about yours. I can read blogs about my Sisters-in law, my friends and my cousin who's on a mission in Mexico! I can email people I knew on my mission. I can instant message my brother in Georgia or when he's deployed to the middle east. I can talk to my mom on the phone almost everyday. I can read up on the news or my favorite tv shows. Or Sariah can watch the Wiggles on our tv while I work out. I can microwave food or use my oven. My fridge keeps things cold! I know there's a bad side to all of this too, but I'm thankful for all the good uses.
This includes music, art, books, my sewing machine, other projects I like to do, like planting bulbs in my flower beds. I don't want to live in a world where I (or others) can't be creative. I can't live without music, wether it be on my radio in the car, or when I (seldomly) play my piano. I love reading things others have written. I love teaching Sariah about all of these things. I can't wait until we can play pretend together. This world is vivid with diverese cultures, sights & sounds, and I want to soak it all in!
So there's just a few important things I'm thankful for. I love this time of the year (and not just for the food...) Thanks Susan for letting me think about all the things I'm thankful for!
19 November 2007
Weight: 17lbs 8.5oz (5%)
I called it, at one year, she hasn't even doubled her birth weight! She has gained weight, but her percentile dropped from 12 to 5 (which isn't a big deal.) Dr. Lo said that if we were worried we could come in again in 6 weeks, but since she is gaining weight, I'm not too worried. :) She's just a little jelly bean. He did say that she's actually pretty advanced for her age in all other ways.
She got 4 shots today, which she wasn't so happy about, but she did okay. We gave her some tylanol when we got home and she's taking a nap now.
17 November 2007
Cute Monkey Head Smash Cake, Just for Sariah?
Banana Cake with Monkey Decoration for Everyone Else?
Tons of Presents! (Thank You Everybody!)
"Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday to You! Happy Birthday, Dear Sariah! Happy Birthday to You!"mmm.... monkey brains!
Hey! I'm a mess!That's Better! "Thanks for the Great Birthday Everybody!"
(To see all 106(!) pictures of Sariah's birthday: http://community.webshots.com/album/561470482XhzcLs?vhost=community)
12 November 2007
(p.s. I have some great video, but since our laptop has bit the dust and Sony STILL doesn't have compatable software for Vista, I'm not sure if I'll be able to post it or not... :( )
10 November 2007
06 November 2007
In other Sariah news... she's *this close* to walking. She's getting good with short distances, but on longer juts, she gets too excited and trips over her tippy toes. I did manage to catch this picture.
Its pretty hard to get her on video or in a picture walking because she gets really excited to see what's behind that screen. (Yup, she's attune to the digital world, already!) But hopefully I'll get a video soon, maybe when Doug's around to distract her.