As a disclaimer: This is a post on politics. I appreciate that everyone has their own feelings/beliefs/political associations. I'm not looking to change your views, so I ask politely that you be respectful of mine in the comments. I withhold the right to delete any comment. Its my right, its my blog. That said, I welcome anything (nice) you have to say.
Did anybody realize that when Obama campaigned on the slogan "A Change We Can Believe In" he actually meant, I see the change in your pocket and I believe its mine? I see what politicians are doing today and I don't like it. How about that stimulus bill that was longer than the bible, probably harder to read, that was passed without practically anybody reading it? And the budget full of earmarks? The ones we were promised wouldn't be in any Obama budgets? Who knew that he actually meant all the ones after this one?
I'm a small government kind of gal. I don't believe we're victims of our situations. We all made choices and we should all take responsibility. I don't need government to "save" me. It bothers me when the government wants to take over businesses and health care and everything else. One only has to look at what they've already done with social security, Fanny Mae or Freddie Mac, to know that this is a disaster in the making. Basically, I don't like what I'm hearing in Washington.
I don't like what I'm hearing from the state capital either. My Governor says "look! I've cut the budget!" And yet his budget is 10% higher than last year. Its just not as high as he'd like it. He says my property taxes will go up $90 this year and $130 the year after, but don't worry, its not as much as it could of been because your property is depreciating. They want to raise taxes on everything from businesses to gas to cigerettes (where there was barely just a tax hike), yet the unemployment rate is rising and will continue if more taxes are levyed. Nevermind what's happening at the city & county level. News Flash! This city isn't big enough for a train!!!!
So we've decided to fight back. Enough is enough! We're going to have to live in this community for a long time, so we're going to make our voices heard. And we're starting on April 15th.
I hope most of you are award of the Tax Day TEA Parties happening throughout the nation. Don't expect a lot of coverage about them from the news stations, or if you do, it won't be good. But I'm here to tell you there is a silent majority of people who don't like they way the nation is going, and we're not going to be silent any more. Here's a short list of things we're unhappy about from the offical website.
Are you fed up with a Congress and a president who:
- vote for a $500 billion tax bill without even reading it?
- are spending trillions of borrowed dollars, leaving a debt our great-grandchildren will be paying?
- consistently give special interest groups billions of dollars in earmarks to help get themselves re-elected?
- want to take your wealth and redistribute it to others?
- punish those who practice responsible financial behavior and reward those who do not?
- admit to using the financial hurt of millions as an opportunity to push their political agenda?
- run up trillions of dollars of debt and then sell that debt to countries such as China?
- want government controlled health care?
- want to take away the right to vote with a secret ballot in union elections?
- refuse to stop the flow of millions of illegal immigrants into our country?
- appoint a defender of child pornography to the Number 2 position in the Justice Department?
- want to force doctors and other medical workers to perform abortions against their will?
- want to impose a carbon tax on your electricity, gas and home heating fuels?
- want to reduce your tax deductibility for charitable gifts?
- take money from your family budget to pay for their federal budget?
Some Important Links
Official Tax Day TEA Party
I encourage everyone to read Liberty & Tyranny by Mark R. Levin. Doug read it in one day. I'm still reading it, but its one of those books that I had to get out a pencil & highlight.