03 October 2009

The Big 3 - 0

Yesterday I left my twenties behind & moved into what I'm going to call the quiet thirties. I call it that because I won't hit a lot of milestones in my thirties. If you think about it, in your teens & twenties lots of stuff happens, high school, college, missions, marriage, first kids, etc. My thirties will still be filled with milestones for my kids, and lots of great life will be going on, but I'm hoping for a calmer existence that what my teens & twenties were!

So, in honor of my birthday, Doug took the day off from work. We woke up and he made me a yummy breakfast, then we hurried off to story time. Afterward we headed to the Home Depot for paint & shelving, and after lunch the day was spent painting the baby's room. I know what you're thinking, painting? Really? Yup, I've been waiting to start decorating that room all week, and what better day when my hubby is off work to do it! Its like my birthday present to me.

Sariah working hard
After the painting was finished, we had dinner out at the Olive Garden. Then after dinner, presents & bed time for little ones. Then Doug and I had birthday dessert. In the end I choose to make 2 cheesecakes, the Key Lime & the Brownie. It wasn't until I was beating the Brownie & the Key Lime was finished that I realized I didn't add the sugar into the Key Lime. It couldn't matter that much, could it? Oh yes it can! It turned out tasting like a very bad block of sour/bitter cheese. Doug managed to eat a piece by mooshing it together with the whipped topping, then we tossed the rest.

A very bad tasting Key Lime Cheesecake
A very tasty Brownie CheescakeThe Brownie Cheesecake turned out much better, although next time I think I'll try to either use less chocolate chips on the top, or make the "lines" thinner, because there are some seriously thick chocolate pieces on top!

All in all, it was a busy, productive, fun birthday. All joking aside, its not bad to be 30. There's some sort of stability about it. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next decade provides!!

The birthday girl & her adorable husband

6 comments:

Julie said...

You know, in Germany when you turn 30 you finally have some amount of credibility and respect, so they really celebrate it. Congratulations! Happy Birthday!

Susan said...

I love productive days. I'm glad you were able to work on the nursery. That's fun. Here's to a happy thirty!

hilary w said...

Happy Birthday to you! What a great day. I am happy you were able to do just what you wanted. I can't wait to see the baby's room!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday. How nice to have Doug home for the day on your birthday! I'm looking forward to seeing how you decorate Baby's room!

Sarah said...

I am glad to see you had a great birthday! A home decorating/craftiness project is totally something I would undertake as a bday gift to myself! Ha! The brownie cheesecake looks sinfully delish- doing all I can to not lick the computer monitor....jk

Alan and Denise said...

Glad you had a great birthday! The next year (and decade) will be a good one, too!